I wonder how many women feel overwhelming guilt when they read Proverbs 31 concerning the wife of noble character. I know I do. I read it and I feel a knot growing in my stomach and a lump in my throat. I see how lazy I am, how uncreative I am, how inefficient I am, and how ungrateful I am.
I've been feeling that way this week. As any pastor's wife will know, Advent is a very...very busy time. In addition to extra services and preparation for them, he still has all his meetings, marriage counseling, etc. Which means that he's home maybe 2 evenings a week. This makes for long, dark evenings since it gets dark at 4:30 now.
When he gets home we have dinner, play w. the kids a little, put them to bed and then he works out in the basement. Some nights he gets home from meetings as I'm finishing my work out and then he goes down for his. We each work out for an hour on the elliptical. Then he likes to catch up on news, etc online. Then it's bed time.
By last night I was angry and hurt. I was lonely, feeling unappreciated, and guilty all at once. I knew if I asked him to let me get out by myself when he got home he would have in an instant. But I HATE that...when women talk about "me time" and how important it is. Find that in the Bible. I hardly think breaking up the family and leaving my husband is good. And yet, I needed refreshment. I needed comfort. I needed grace. I needed to be tended to after tending tirelessly all. week. long.
So I made dinner and we played in the living room on the floor with the kids, just rolling around, tickling, reading, etc. It was nice but I still felt empty. We each worked out after getting the kids in bed and then it was bed time ourselves.
And it feels like there's never enough time, the house is never clean enough, and there's not enough real time with my husband or respite for myself. How do you fill up so you're not running on empty without leaving your family?
Abide with me, fast falls the even tide, the darkness deepens, Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Oh Thou who changest not, Abide with me.
"Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, His wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
I can totally relate. This is something I struggle with as well. Something I have been thinking about is instead of thinking of it as "me time" think of it as rest. God rested, many of the prophets got away and rested, even Jesus did although He wasn't always very successful when He tried. As an introvert I have found that I HAVE to get away from everybody once and a while in order to just function. My husband wants me to do it everyday, but we are lucky to have it happen every other day. I go into my room, lock the doors, turn off the baby monitor and turn on something I want to listen to be it music or an episode of Issues ETC. I might sew, I might write, I might read the Bible, I might just turn off the lights and lay down on my bed and think a complete thought without interruption. And you know what? I come out refreshed, and ready to love on my family.
ReplyDeleteAs mothers, home educators and pastor's wives our jobs are 24/7 and they are intense. We need rest, that is biblical, and especially with children all as little as ours are I'm not sure it's possible to get that rest while in the midst of the family. What I know is this without rest I become bitter and resentful, I yell, I cry, or I sit starring at Facebook and the news for hours to avoid the anger that pours out from my empty heart. When I rest I actually enjoy my children and my husband.
I never thought of trying to rest while still at home. I always feel guilty because I can hear my husband playing with the kids and all I can think is, "I should be in there!" I don't want to miss out on family time...but you're right, it could be better than getting to the point of exploding or being angry with my husband for not seeing how empty and tired I am. He is always so great about letting me do what I need to do but I always feel so guilty asking. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteDoing it at home actually is a lot better for me. While I find adult conversation and shopping with out the kids occasionally refreshing it really didn't give me that rest that I needed. And music or something to listen to helps me not hear what else is going on in the house so I can really rest. I'm really looking forward to moving to the parsonage because there is a small basement storage room that I have laid dibs on for a craft and sewing area.
ReplyDeleteI know all about guilt, but my husband has noticed such a difference when I take this time that he has started laying the guilt on when I DON'T go rest ;P
:) yay for great pastor husbands!
ReplyDeleteGrowing vegetables from seeds has brought me great pleasure while limiting my time away from my family.
ReplyDeleteS.F, I can hardly wait to begin growing my garden in spring! When do you start your seeds indoors?
ReplyDeleteWe're near Kansas City. I'll start my peppers at the end of January. I need to get my seed catalogs out and order some uncommon varieties to try out this year.
ReplyDeleteKerri
oh wow, fun! What about things like tomatoes?
ReplyDeleteA walk. A walk and a talk with the Lord. Sometimes shouting, sometimes whispering. But a walk. I am always better when I come back.
ReplyDeleteKaren
Karen, I love walks. :) My mom and I used to take them together after dinner when I was little and at her house. Walks are always good.
ReplyDelete