"Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, His wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30

Friday, December 14, 2012

The way YOU see them.

I watched this totally weepy "Christmas" movie tonight. But it was one of those times where I thought some dramatic sounding title would end up being this sappy happy ending and it wasn't. It really was more of a documentary about what families go through who have a child diagnosed with serious cancer and in particular, the journey at St. Jude's.

The story of this one family blew me away and had me weeping. Their precious baby boy ended up dying after fighting for 18 months.

You know, I've followed many stories on blogs, news, etc just like this family's...but for some reason this movie, based on a true story, affected me differently. The main message of the movie was to live each day as if it's your last, a message we've all heard before, but again, tonight it was different.

I think as a home schooling mom of many and in particular, a pastor's wife, it's easy to become legalistic and pietistic. To find joy in how others see you based on how you measure up in one way or another instead of in the doting, FREE GRACE, love of our Heavenly Father.

FOR WHILE WE WERE YET SINNERS...

There was no hope of us behaving better the next time, no amount of training that could make us better and He knew that from the beginning. It was us that had to be convinced (and still do every single day). So instead He gave Himself...for you.

I know as parents it's our duty to discipline our children. But I wonder how much discipline would look different if we truly did it only when we saw our child stuck in unrepentant rebellion...instead of when they weren't doing something we thought they should because it would make them look more pious.

My prayer tonight is Lord, help me to see them the way YOU see them. Help me to love the way YOU love.

Tonight I'll linger a little longer next to their bedsides and tomorrow I'll hug a little longer and play a little longer and hope that by the grace of God, Christ keeps us.

2 comments:

  1. Love this: There was no hope of us behaving better the next time, no amount of training that could make us better and He knew that from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as adults it's easy to glory in our trying...and then we hear that all our trying amounts to nothing more than dirty rags.

    ReplyDelete