One of my children cannot have any grains. Well, I should specify: no wheat, no oats, no corn. He CAN have rice and quinoa (which really isn't a grain but a seed).
Recently we began trying to reintroduce things one at a time to see if he had recovered enough for some of them. It seems the only thing he can have without having breathing issues or breaking out in eczema is rice.
But with all the experimenting he's been able to indulge in all types of foods that he didn't before and suddenly I can't remember what he was eating for snacks, etc before! So all of you grain/gluten free people, care to share your favorite snacks/breakfasts/lunch ideas??? We're good with dinner...we eat a lot of meat and veggies and potatoes/quinoa/rice, but I am totally stumped for breakfast, snacks, and easy lunches.
Some things we do:
breakfast:
muffins from www.elanaspantry.com
pancakes from above
scrambled eggs and sausage (they're so sick of this) or bacon
chocolate chip cookies made from almond flour (doubles as snack, but he's also very sick of these)
lunch:
rolled up lunch meat w/ fruit/veggies
peanut butter "boats" apple halves filled w pb with raisins or chocolate chips for on top
banana slices w/ pb and jelly
quinoa w tomato sauce and/or grnd beef
leftovers
pb and jelly sandwiches using almond flour pancakes
snacks:
potato chips
pickles
some of the above
fruit strips (organic dehydrated fruit strips) sometimes w pb on top
Annnnd that's about all I got. So, hit me, what are your favorites. On second thought, share your favorite dinners too, I can always use more recipes! :)
Abide with me, fast falls the even tide, the darkness deepens, Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Oh Thou who changest not, Abide with me.
"Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, His wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
hot rice cereal w/dried fruit for breakfast. Yum!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.againstallgrain.com/
ReplyDeleteWe're on a bit of an "extreme" budget right now, and we just eat stews--all kinds of meats and veggies in broth, to make it all stretch, with leftovers for lunch. I use a cut of meat a week. Split pea with ham, beef vegetable, lentil(call it Roman soldier food--that's what I do to sell it to my sons), potato sausage soup, chicken rice, etc. has been our food for the last 6 months or so. We eat oatmeal in the morning (alternating with scrambled eggs with more veggies.) Even before we had to count pennies, we always had oatmeal or eggs for bfast--using grains/seed hot cereal he's not allergic to would work, and then add dried fruit and nut mixes for interest and variety. Or bags of frozen berries last a while, mixed with hot cereal or yogurt.
ReplyDeleteMy husband has a wheat intolerance, but we haven't gone all out yet, mainly because he isn't motivated, and mainly because we're working on figuring out his insulin dose (just diagnosed with type 1), and it's expensive.
Haystacks (rice, taco-seasoned meat, lettuce, cheese, any beans or veggies you want--basically tacos in a bag piled high) are great for dinner, then WONDERFUL "repurposed" (I hate that word) as burritos for lunch. Just get non-corn or wheat tortillas and fill them--add some more cheese so it all sticks together, voila.
My kids also just eat apples and "baby oranges" (clementines) all day long. I try to keep the cheese shredded, otherwise everyone eats it up and gets constipated. I don't bend over backyards for snacks.
Are you dairy-free, too?
Thanks Mamas!
ReplyDeleteSPN: great idea! I should give hot breakfast "cereals" a try...we haven't done any since over two years when my oldest liked instant oatmeal made with apple juice and cinnamon.
The Mama, thanks, I hadn't seen that website yet!
Katy: great ideas! It was easier to do all the stews all winter...now that we have spring fever and are SICK of winter...eating soups and stews are harder. We do a lot of taco type meals, but what kind of tortillas don't have wheat or corn??? Any I've seen are super expensive at specialty stores. We've just made him eat his taco meat on quinoa or rice and he's been OK with that.
I need to get more clementines, my kids love those too. And yes, our son cannot eat dairy. The rest of us do but not a ton.
"now that we have spring fever and are SICK of winter...eating soups and stews are harder."
ReplyDeleteNo kidding.
I buy flaxseed tortillas sometimes (around $3 a bag). I have a tortilla press, but haven't tried making wheat-free tortillas on my own. Maybe that would would be cheaper. Non-wheat tortillas aren't very soft and bendable, so maybe just spreading the skillet hodge-podge on top, adding something to make it stick together (avocado?), cutting it in "pies" and calling it pizza?