I am a northerner. I have been away from my childhood home in Florida for 12 years now and I have decided I am officially a northerner. The first clue came when we traveled to the seminary a few weeks ago so my husband could complete an intensives class and it reached 95 degrees. It was SO UNBELIEVABLY HOT that I thought I was going to die. When we drove home and I stepped out of the car to temps in the 60s I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Our summer has been soooo mild this year, I think the hottest day has been 85 or so (in which we all stayed inside because it was "too hot"), and I have been just loving it. And...for the first time in 12 years, other than one random day in early summer, I have not had this crazy urge for the beach that makes me whine to my husband for weeks on end. In fact, I am finding more and more love for the hills, the lakes, and the cool breezes.
I think our weather is gorgeous. I love the four seasons, I even love most of winter as we enjoy all the nice hot food, drinks, and indoor cuddling. I will admit I grew very very grouchy this winter as it was the worst winter this place had seen in over 30 years. But even so, I wouldn't change it. I love this place.
Abide with me, fast falls the even tide, the darkness deepens, Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Oh Thou who changest not, Abide with me.
"Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, His wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30

Hmmm... How far north must one live to be a northerner? Or how far south to be a southerner? Am I a southerner because a live a hundred yards (give or take) south of the Mason-Dixon line? I feel lost here in the middle. There's no name for us!
ReplyDeleteLol! Um, yes, I think that makes you a southerner ;). but hey, wear your southernness proud! The south can be fun too. :D
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm from WV, but that didn't feel completely southern (seeing as they joined with the North when they became a state). And most of the people in our church are from Pennsylvania. Or West Virginia. And weather-wise, we're not totally southern, not totally northern. I'm having an identity crises. I guess I do say "y'all" a good bit. There's a picture on my blog of me literally straddling the line: http://spiceoflifemom.blogspot.com/2014/05/fridays-geography-quiz.html
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I'm so excited to see that you're more than halfway there!
:) Thanks, I'm excited too. I still can't believe it most days. I think you can be whatever you want to be weather wise. And I say ya'll too :) Old habits die hard. In fact, I would love to live in a place where I didn't know whether or not I was southerner or northerner because that probably means you get all four seasons but in a much milder way. And that picture you have next to your name, if that's where you live, I'm definitely jealous. :) beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYep, that's where we live. I am not jesting when I (often) say that we have the most beautiful view of any parsonage in the country. Y'all should visit sometime ;)
ReplyDelete