Several months ago I read the book "He Remembers the Barren." I was so touched by it that I had to share about the book here on this blog. I've also thought about it for the months since and had the chance to email a few times with Katie and be blessed by her friendship.
One of the most profound things to me about Katie was this amazing heart God has given her to mother wherever she is placed. She sees her barrenness as a chance to bless wherever she can in whatever moment she can. She shared one story in her book of how one fellow barren woman blessed her and her husband while they were in seminary. The woman wanted to help them financially like she would have done for any of her children had she had them.
All of these things have stayed with me and this past week I had the opportunity to exercise this heart.
Sunday morning at 5 am I got a text. I woke up, confused, and read "I'm in labor! My water broke at 2 am. Contractions are sporadic. Come if you are able!" My heart beat began thundering in my chest. My dear sister was in labor. Tears flooded my eyes at the thought of meeting my dear friend's newest family member all slimy and warm. I panicked...it was Sunday morning. My in laws were in town and my husband is a pastor...can't exactly disappear on a Sunday morning or the kids will have no way to get to church since the in laws car isn't exactly big enough to fit all the car seats. So I began planning. I showered, packed an overnight bag, and began pulling out food to take so I could make meals for my friend and her family. I made sure there were things in the fridge for my own family and cleaned the house. I made breakfast and served my in laws and we all headed to church. After the morning services and going out to lunch with the family my husband gave me his blessing to go. He was looking forward to some guy time with all our boys. I jumped in the car and got there as quickly as I legally could.
As I neared her house my cell phone rang. It was my friend's sister and she was asking if I could stop and pick up paper plates and cups for all the children to eat on over the next few days to minimize work. I did a quick turn down a side street that led to some stores and then made my way to her house. When I got there I carried all my bags in, set them in a safe, out of the way place, and made my way into the kitchen and began making supper. I set up a buffet line of a build your own casserole with quinoa, cheddar cheese, spinach spring mix, taco sauce, home made ranch type sauce, taco meat, etc.
For the next 36 hours I was blessed to serve my friend and her family. This same friend once came to my rescue when I delivered my third child and had to be transported to the hospital in an emergency situation. I was 18 hrs away from her at the time but had flown her out to my house to be my doula in labor and she ended up being child care provider for 36 hours. So this time for her I got to rub her feet, clean the kitchen, and help take care of the kids.
She didn't end up having her baby, it was a false alarm, but I am so thankful my husband allowed me to be there and serve my sister. It was such a wonderful time of putting into action what a commenter in the previous post said, "my sister must become greater, I must become less." I am so thankful for relationships with dear sisters in Christ that can not only be there for each other but also say to each other what needs to be said.
Christ keep you sisters.
Abide with me, fast falls the even tide, the darkness deepens, Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Oh Thou who changest not, Abide with me.
"Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, His wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:23-30
Friday, April 19, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love love love this. Love you too.
ReplyDelete:) love you too L.
ReplyDelete